Monday, December 28, 2009

Random Thoughts on 2009, Pt. 2

Here is a continuation of the pointless musings I made yesterday. Again, if you haven't seen any of these, there might be some spoilers. Enjoy!!!

Pleasant Surprise from Two Years Ago That is Still a Joy: The Big Bang Theory
We here it all the time, Jim Parsons is brilliant as the uber-nerd Sheldon. But the fact of the matter is, he is. Somehow he takes a character who is arrogant, self-absorbed, and totally insane and makes him utterly likable. Possibly even lovable. Brilliant as he may be, I don't think Sheldon would be even slightly tolerable without the other members of the wonderful ensemble (Raj is a personal favorite). Calling them supporting is an insult. Each one provides their own distinctive flavor, and I can't imagine this show without them. It may not be considered groundbreaking, but BBT never fails to make me laugh, which something I can always root for.

Runner-up: How I Met Your Mother
Another wonderful ensemble, I didn't really start watching until the second season, but I am really glad I did. I may not laugh as hard as with BBT, but I actually do care about the lives of these utterly silly people. They may not be real, but they sure feel like it.

Show I Always Stood By but Haven't Watched This Season: Heroes
I was there for the anti-climatic first season finale; I was there through Hiro in Ancient Japan; I was even there when Sylar gained his 10 billionth power. But for some reason, I haven't caught a single episode this season. A few people have told me it has improved, but I don't know, I just can't bring myself to go back. I never thought it self-destructed like so many have declared, but it was getting harder to defend some of the decisions of the writers. I might go back, but I'm afraid when I do, Heroes might not be around.

Runner-Up
: Ugly Betty
When it first premiered, I was in love. Then Betty fell in love. Then she lost it. Then she fell in love, then she lost it. By then, I lost it too, which is a shame, because I adored everything about it. But I am pretty sure I'll start watching again, at least more so than Heroes.

No comments:

Post a Comment