Sunday, May 9, 2010

Saturday Night Live: Betty White Recap

Well, it finally arrived. After a wildly popular Facebook campaign, Betty White's episode finally aired. White was joined by former SNL cast members for a special Mother's Day event. Was it worth the wait? Read on.(I'll only touch on the things I found the best of the episode).

Monologue: Future hosts take note: This is how it's done. No awkward moments, no silly musical numbers. Simply one nicely timed one liner after another. The highlight: Betty's take on Facebook, which she thanked in her own special way, jokingly referring to the social networking site as a complete waste of time.



Delicious Dish: Ana Gasteyer and Molly Shannon reprised their NPR cooking show sketch, bringing White as a baker that is famous for her muffin. Great lines, and I nearly died of laughter when Shannon declared "I think your muffin just squirted a bit in my mouth." Naughty, but fun.



 The Manuel Ortiz Show: Okay, this wasn't one of the best, but well worth watching to see White shaking it with the other cast members, and uttering the line "That explains why he doesn't like Tacos," when finding out her son is a gay top.






MacGruber: White played the MacGruber's grandmother, who berated him every chance she got, until in what was a sweet, and then suddenly creepy moment, they kissed. It may sound bad, but White managed to make me do something that is rare when I watch a MacGruber sketch: Laugh.



Overall, I can honestly say that I laughed through the entire episode. It's been a while since that happened, which goes to show you that there is a difference between a true comedian, and someone who just thinks they are one. Hopefully SNL remembers this when picking hosts in the future. 

Bonus sketch: Debbie Downer returns. I'm a huge fan of Rachel Dratch, and just had to show this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment